Sunday, March 26, 2017

Crown Molding Virgin

Crown Molding... a few things I need to admit before we get started:

1. I thought it was "molding." Guess what? It is! Either "moulding" or "molding" is correct. I've tried to use "moulding" several times because it seems correct in my head, but it's just not working for me. I will stick with "molding" from here on out. 
2. I never realized that crown molding sat at an angle against the wall and ceiling until I started looking at tutorials. Wow. Talk about lack of observation. 
3. It's intimidating, but everyone says, "it's SO EASY!" so I finally decided to tackle it. Verdict is still out. 

How is this not a liability??
If you're a novice DIYer like myself, the crown molding section is a little intimidating. They have this little cart with a measuring tape and a hand saw. A HAND SAW!!! Trim is displayed in 16 foot pieces and sold by the linear foot, and you're supposed to cut your own pieces. Then, they measure it  at the cash register. Well, thank goodness for all that time in my dad's shop as a kid "making things" because I cannot tell you how long it's been since I used a hand saw. But I swear to you, I picked up that saw and Sheryl Crow started singing over the loud speaker..."The first cut is the deepest." 🎶 The first cut was not so bad (although not very deep, Sheryl), and I rocked it pretty quickly. I'm far less intimidated by the trim section now!


I worked on the flat piece of base trim first. Since it was flat, I referenced tutorials for base molding. Not so bad. I've got this awesome Ryobi compound miter saw that makes things a bit easier. I won't go into all the details because I AM NOT qualified to give tutorials on this stuff, but you only need to adjust your bevel angle for these cuts. The bevel adjustment is at the back of the saw. I stumbled across this guy while I was Googling up a ladder (don't do that) How to Install Baseboard Molding. This Eric Rosenfeld guy talks fast, but that's what the pause button is for! I followed his steps, hit rewind, followed, paused.

Scarf Joint
Once I got the hang of things, I made a bit of a cheat for myself. Hey, it worked! I keep telling myself there will be lots of caulk and paint and not to worry too much if it isn't perfect because there is still a layer of crown to go on top of this. But I feel a lot more confident in my ability! I even learned how to make a scarf joint!


On day two, I started working on the second layer of molding. The actual "crown" pieces and not a flat baseboard type. Yeaahhh... a wee bit harder because you're working from angles. I seriously stood up on the ladder and Googled "inside corner crown moulding." Luckily this guy popped up AGAIN How to Install Crown Molding with Eric Rosenfeld. Ahhh, Eric! My old friend! You talk a hair to fast. There I stood, up the ladder--cut one side, mark it, hop down, cut, run up the ladder again, measure, make marks. It wasn't the most time-efficient, but it worked! And what I learned?? My ceiling is crooked. This happens. Sometimes a wall isn't square. Sometimes you ceiling isn't either (see that huge gap at the top?) Caulk. The one word that brings me comfort.

I got slightly smart (maybe) before I installed the top layer of crown and decided we will be putting crown molding around the rest of the kitchen. So, I cut the ends closest to the walls like they're going to join more crown molding. I may even go ahead and install a couple pieces in this process for the sake of ease. Once I got the hang of the "left, right, left, right" it seemed to go a little more smoothly.

More to go! The contractors are still in demo mode, so I'll have to rest on the crown install for a few days. but I'm anxious and excited to get it finished and all the extra trim (corners, across the gap, down the wall). I'm starting to see my vision come to life and that's exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment